FOOTBALL BEGINS.

The Maine game this afternoon will give us our first accurate idea of the calibre of the 1913 football team. A few days ago the CRIMSON said that, while having the greatest confidence in the team, there were several circumstances that should be considered as a warning against over-confidence. The fact that a veteran guard and star back have been left out of today's line-up for reasons that are not encouraging warrants us in reiterating this warning. In the same breath, however, we wish to say, as we did Thursday, that we believe that the team will win our highest confidence. We are certain that it will do so if Harvard men will unite from the beginning to show the players that they have supporters behind them who are ready to grant that confidence as soon as it has been earned. In other words, the success of the team will depend on the players and the men in the stands alike, the former working to be worthy of support and the latter ever ready to grant it.

We give the team our best wishes for success today and throughout the season.