UNCLASSIFIED STUDENTS.

Every year an increasing number of men enter Harvard who are ranked in the Catalogue as unclassified students. These men are not only unknown quantities to the College Office, but to the College community in general. The fact that they are unclassified scholastically is usually understood clearly enough; but the fact, equally as important, that they are unclassified in their relations to the College community in general, is often ignored or overlooked.

There is, of course, an adequate reason for this. An unclassified student often finds himself in an environment entirely different from that to which he was accustomed at his former college. In coming to Harvard, he left behind not only customs and methods to which he had adapted himself, but what is essentially more important--friends. It is, therefore, to be expected that the majority of unclassified students, feeling themselves in a strange environment and without class affiliations, should stand aloof from all College activities on the grounds that they will enter into them after they become better acquainted and receive some definite class standing.

This attitude, which the unclassified student can readily assume, is erroneous The means to become acquainted and to feel oneself a necessary part of the University lies in the individual's willingness and desire to participate in at least one of its many activities. The unclassified student will find the same activities open to him here at Harvard as at his former college. If he enters them to the best of his ability, the natural desire for acquaintanceship and recognition will not go unsatisfied.