BRILLIANT TENNIS STRUGGLE

OPPONENTS EVENLY MATCHED IN INCOMPLETED CONTEST FOR TITLE.

Fast brilliant play marked the final struggle between H. G. M. Kelleher '18 and G. W. Wightman 3L. for the championship of the University in singles. Kelleher started off strong, smothering Wightman's returns, and driving the ball hard and placing beautifully. Wightman got into his stride towards the end of the first set but Kelleher had already secured a comfortable lead, and won 6 to 4. However, Wightman continued to improve and succeeded in capturing the second set 6 to 3. The third set brought out beautiful shots and equally clever returns, both contestants showing marked versatility and playing a game in which safety was intermingled with fast strokes. As the games approached 6-all, Kelleher began to weaken and Wightman pulled out a 9 to 7 victory. Darkness interrupted the match early in the fourth set, and play was postponed until this afternoon, when the match will be continued on the championship court on Holmes Field at 2.15 o'clock.

Play in the tournament for the University championship in doubles has reached the semi-final round, which will be contested this afternoon on Jarvis Field, Yesterday's scores in the doubles tournament were as follows:

A. S. Peabody '16 and H. D. Holmes '16 defeated J. A. Richards '15 and D. C. Josephs '15, 6-3, 6-4, and E. C. Wilson '16 and J .P. Beal defeated J. V. A. Weaver, Jr., 1G.S. and C. L. Carver 1G.S., 6-3, 6-3. The following men will play this afternoon in the semi-final round:

On Jarvis Field at 3 o'clock; W. Hugus 2L. and W. T. Badger 2L. vs. H. D. Holmes '16 and A. S. Peabody '16. These men are reminded that they must appear within 15 minutes of the scheduled time, or lose the match by default, and that scores of the matches must be marked on the score card at Jarvis Field by 6 o'clock tonight.