PREHISTORIC RUINS UNCOVERED

Archaeological Survey Unearthed Old Cities in Nebraska.

The Archaeological Survey, headed by Professor Frederick H. Stearns of the Peabody Museum, has just discovered some most remarkable ruins of three stratifications of prehistoric villages, belonging to three distinct peoples. Although the expedition had already completed its work for the season and was upon the point of returning to the University, the discovery is regarded as so important that the scientists have indefinitely extended their stay in order that they may thoroughly investigate the great archaeological "find". The centuries-old villages lie buried in a narrow Nebraskan valley between two high bluffs, twenty-five miles below Omaha, near the Missouri River. The cities have been buried under the earth washed down from the neighboring hills, but in recent years a small stream has cut its way through the deposits of hundreds of years and has brought to light again the remains of the old towns far below the present surface of the valley. Reading the history of these ancient deposits from the steep sides of the ravine, the scientists have figured that ages ago the place was thickly populated with a prehistoric people. The first ancient village was buried only to be followed by a second and third, each of which was buried in its turn. The remains consist of a large number of houses belonging to three distinct races, the oldest of which lived many hundreds of years ago. There are also many excellent specimens of rude pottery and stone implements.

The University expedition will remain in the valley until cold weather sets in, when they will return. The exploration of the different stratifications, however, cannot be completed in that time. Therefore Professor Stearns is already making arrangements to return to Nebraska as soon as the frost leaves the ground next spring.