CRAIG PRIZE TO NEW DRAMA

AWARD GIVEN TO CLEVES KINKEAD FOR FOUR-ACT SERIOUS PLAY.

This year the Craig Prize, offered by Mr. John Craig, of the Castle Square Theatre, for the best play submitted by students of the University or of Radcliffe, has been assigned to Cleves Kinkead, of Louisville, Kentucky, for a serious play in four acts, as yet without a name. Honorable mention was given Mrs. Charlotte B. Chorpenning, now a member of English 47a at Radcliffe, for a three-act comedy.

Under the conditions of the competition, the sum of $250 of the $500 offered is to be paid to the University-Library to be used in the purchase of books on the drama, and the remainder is given to the successful author. Furthermore Mr. Craig guarantees a production of the winning play at the Castle Square Theatre. The present play is to be produced either before or directly after Christmas.

Mr. Kinkead took Professor Baker's English 47 last year and is taking English 47a this year. His one-act play, "The Fourflushers," was produced by the Dramatic Club last spring.

J. F. Ballard's Success.

Last year the Craig Prize was not awarded. Two years ago it was given to J. F. Ballard, also an ex-member of English 47. His play, "Believe Me, Xantippe" had the longest run of any of the prize plays and was also produced in New York by Mr. Belasco with John Barrymore and Mary Young as the principals. Mr. Belasco is now preparing the production of another of Mr. Ballard's plays called "What's Wrong."