TRIPLE PASSING BEAT PRINCETON

Attack of Yale Backfield Shown to be Strong and Versatile.

Yale defeated Princeton Saturday in a game replete with the thrills of the spectacular runs and passes of the Yale eleven throughout the first three periods and the almost superhuman fight of the Princeton attack in the last quarter. Throughout the first three periods the Yale backs ripped the Princeton line to shreds, smashing through the opponents' defence for consistent gains of considerable length, baffling the New Jersey team with the double and triple lateral passes which she has so successfully advanced this year, and out punting Princeton on every exchange of kicks. The work of the backfield approached perfection, and the individual playing of Le Gore, the sophomore fullback, was extraordinary, in every way. His fast, fierce rushed Saturday permitted him to gain almost at will, he was on the passing or receiving end of nearly all of the complicated passes, his punting far excelled that of either of his rivals and as a secondary defensive man he was the mainstay of the backfield. He was the pivot on which Yale built her attack, and the other backs were only slightly inferior to his standard of play. Wilson, Ainsworth, Knowles, Scovil, Guernsey and Cornell all contributed strength to the power of the offensive machine which proved to be of such high calibre Line plunging brought the ball down the field in each case and a forward pass resulted in the scores which culminated these long assaults.

Saturday's game showed that as yet Yale has not developed a man who can be depended on to kick field goals with any degree of accuracy. The line is undoubtedly inferior to the backfield, but the known weakness of the defence is rather offset by the brilliancy of the attack which combines so well the plunging power of the old fashioned game with the speed and versatility necessary in the more modern "open style" of game.