Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line
At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions
Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists
‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam
‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6
For the decoration of the four stone posts which mark the ends of the balustrade of the Anderson Memorial Bridge, I. Kirchmayer, chiefly known as an artist in wood-carving, has modelled bronze sculptural designs symbolizing Peace and War. The models, which are to be gilded, are in pyramidal form. One War model will surmount the two posts at either end of the bridge. The attributes in the composition of the War group are a Roman corselet, from an original in one of the museums in Europe decorated with martial objects in low relief; a sword and helmet, shields, Roman faces, spears, etc., and a miniature fortress, with an American eagle, grasping a thunderbolt in his talons, surmounting the whole. The Peace design is composed of appropriate objects, such as books, an ink well and instruments of scientific study.
Each of the four posts is to bear on its face fronting the approach to the bridge, a pink marble tablet bearing an inscription in bronze Roman capitals, each inscription to be different from the others. Above the inscription on two of them will be the coat of arms of the Society of the Cincinnati the the badge of the Legion of Honor and the seal of the Society of the Spanish War. On the other two tablets will be the seal of the University. The inscription on the Cambridge end up-stream will read as follows:
"This bridge was built in memory of Nicholas Longworth Anderson, Graduate of Harvard College in the Class of 1858, Adjutant, Colonel, Brevet Brigadier and Major-General of Volunteers in the Civil War. To a Father by a Son."
On the Cambridge downstream end, the inscription will read:
"May this bridge, built in memory of a scholar and a soldier, connecting the College Yard and playing fields of Harvard, be an ever-present reminder to students passing over it of loyalty to country and Alma Mater and a lasting suggestion that they should devote their manhood, developed by study and play on the banks of this river, to the nation and its needs."
On the Boston end, upstream side:
"'On either side of the river there was the tree of life (which bore twelve manner of fruits and yielded her fruit every month) and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.'--Rev. xxii, 2. Anderson Bridge, 1913."
"'The multitude of the wise is the welfare of the world.'--Wis. of Sol., vii, 24 This bridge was built under the direction of the Metropolitan Park Commission: Chief Engineer, John Richard Rablin; Architects, Edmund March Wheelwright, Parkman Blake Haven, Edward Harrison Hoyt; Builders, Holbrook, Cabot and Rollins Corporation."
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.