OPPORTUNITIES TO TEACH ABROAD

Educational Opportunities in Mission Service Open to Graduates.

The schools established by missionary agencies throughout the Orient and other parts of the world are beginning to have closer and closer contact with American institutions. Within the last decade several boards have begun the policy of making term-appointments to the educational staff of their colleges abroad; the general requirement of life service having been changed to a definite period of months, or one, two, or three years. The case of each candidate is considered on its own merits; and is acted on by the regular authorities. The plan of one and two year appointment has been approved by several American missionary societies, working in China Japan, the Philippines, India, and the near East, as well as in Hawaii, and South America. Financial arrangements vary; but usually all expenses of travel and residence can be met by the allowance and salary of the volunteer for two years. Several University men have taught under this plan in China and the Philippines. The opportunity is especially valuable for teachers on sabbatical leave, affording an acquaintance with life and problems of the changing East, and opportunity for unusual travel.

Inquiries about positions may be made at Phillips Brooks House. There are also many teaching positions of a more permanent character for men qualified. The teaching is almost invariably in the English language, and embraces all elementary college subjects.