MAHAN IS FOOTBALL CAPTAIN

BRILLIANT ALL-ROUND ATHLETE WILL LEAD ELEVEN NEXT SEASON.

Edward William Mahan '16, of Natick, was yesterday unanimously elected captain of the University football team for the season of 1915. The 25 "H" men on this year's squad met in Captain Brickley's room at 1 o'clock and cast their votes, as is customary, by secret ballot.

Mahan has been a regular on the University eleven for the last two years, playing right halfback both in 1913 and during the past season. He prepared at Andover where he was a member of the football, baseball, and track teams. In his last year there he captained the baseball team.

He was captain of the 1916 Freshman eleven playing in the backfield of the team that defeated the Yale freshmen 18 to 17. He is 22 years old, 5 feet, 11 inches tall, and weighs 166 pounds.

Mahan's wonderful football ability is too well known about the University to need comment. His brilliant open-field work, combined with exceptional ability in both drop-kicking and defensive play, has earned for him a place on practically every All-American eleven that has been selected during the past two seasons. His all-around athletic ability is evinced by the fact that he won his baseball "H" last spring, in the pitcher's box, and in his Freshman year won numerals in football, baseball, and track.