AFFAIRS AT YALE AND PRINCETON

New Plan to Prevent Failures at Princeton.--New Haven Trouble.

The failure of forty-six Princeton students at mid-years has led the faculty to institute a new-plan to keep men up in their studies. Twenty-five of the forty-six were sophomores as against sixteen out of forty-four men dropped at Harvard. The report of the Princeton faculty committee on examinations shows that in the majority of failures this year the students dropped had been carrying conditions from previous years, especially in the sophomore class where freshman conditions hung over the failures. The faculty has therefore instituted a series of uniform tests during the course of the term which are aimed at making the entering men keep up in their standing to the passing grade. The results of these uniform tests are to be reported to the registrar together with his class standing and the two will determine his progress. If he begins to fall below he is to be placed on probation, and just as athletes are debarred from competing in athletics this deficient student is to be kept from participating in any extra-curriculum activities until he has reinstated himself scholastically.

The object is to teach freshmen the art of studying and the necessity of concentrated work with a view to reducing the number of failures or preventing them altogether.

Probation for 200 Yale Men.

As a result of the "Bottle Night" disturbances among the Yale Freshmen at the dormitories Sunday night, two hundred members of the class have been put on probation for an indefinite time. This will considerably handicap some of the Freshman teams.