CREDIT FOR SOCIAL SERVICE

Conference Discussed a Point System for Settlement Workers.

The aims and difficulties of Harvard students and a new plan for a credit system were discussed at a social service conference in Phillips Brooks House last evening. About seventy-five leaders from settlement houses, social service clubs and organizations, and from churches gave short speeches concerning the present status of the work of Harvard men.

One of the most important and thoroughly discussed plans was offered by Mr. Philip Davis, director of the Civic Service House, Boston, who suggested that men who do social service work, especially of an educational nature, should receive credit in courses in the University. For instance, men who teach English should be credited by the English Department; men who do general educational work should be given recognition in the Educational Department; and likewise in Social Ethics, in Economics and in Sociology. Mr. Davis declared that the efforts of several hundred Harvard students to better social conditions should not go unrecognized by the Faculty.

Increase In Interest

About fifteen of the leaders spoke of their own experiences and offered criticisms of the work now being done by Harvard men. The current feeling of the whole conference showed an added increase of interest in the social service work and that the men were applying theory to practical problems.