TRACK VETERANS AND ASPIRANTS.

Strength in Distance Runs and High-Jump Shown in Stock-Taking.

The prospects for a good track team this spring are as good, if not better than usual. The fourteen "H" men in College, together with the stars of the 1916 Freshman team will form a nucleus that should make a creditable showing against Yale, and again run up a high score in the Intercollegiates. Of the point winners in the meet against Yale last year the University lost, by graduation, only five, representing twenty points, out of the total of forty-eight scored. Yale apparently fared better, for the six point winners who graduated tallied only twenty of the fifty-six points. But with the cross-country men who won second place in the intercollegiates last fall, in the one and two-mile events, and with the relay team men, in the middle distance runs, together with the good men in the field events, the chances of winning are at least even.

There is plenty of material from which point winners in the 100 and 220-yard dashes may be developed. R. Tower '15, a member of the record-breaking 390-yard relay team, is the only one of last year's place winners now in College. But W. Rollins '16, who scored six points in the freshman meet, and E. W. Mahan '16, who was second to Rollins in the 100-yard dash last year, may be counted upon to do well. Other promising candidates are J. I. Abbott '14, F. J. O'Brien '14, and J. L. Foley '15.

In the quarter-mile there are many fast men, notably W. A. Barron '14, Captain of this year's team and winner of this event in the dual meet at New Haven last spring with time equaling the record. J. C. Rock '15, who was third, in the Yale meet, R. H. Delafield '16, and T. R. Pennypacker '16, second and third respectively in the Freshman meet, are men of great ability.

The team will miss the services of T. W. Koch '14, in the half-mile this year very badly. F. W. Capper '15, winner of third place in the last Yale meet, E. P. Stone '15, and W. J. Bingham '16, who broke the Freshman dual meet record last year and whose running against Halpin of the B. A. A. in the last relay race was a feature of the victory, will probably do well in this event, which is one of Yale's strongest.

The mile run will be well supported by H. C. MacLure '15, second last year in the Yale meet, and W. W. Kent '16, who broke the dual record in the 1916 meet. Other fast men are A. C. Hawkes '14, W. A. Peckham '14, A. J. de Gozzaldi '14, A. R. Boynton '14, W. M. Tugman, Jr., '14, and W. Edgar '16.

The two-mile run looks as if it would be an all Harvard event again this year. R. St. B. Boyd '14, the Intercollegiate cross-country champion and winner of this race at New Haven in 1913, will be seconded by F. H. Blackman '14, second in the Yale cross-country run, by B. S. Carter '15, third in the Yale 2-mile, C. Southworth '15, and B. V. Zamore '15.

The outlook in the field events is not so bright, for there is a possibility that A. L. Jackson '14, may be prevented from doing as well as usual in the hurdles, due to an operation which he was recently forced to undergo, and that J. O. Johnstone '16 may be kept from high-jumping by a deficiency in his studies.

Besides A. L. Jackson '14, who won the high hurdles in the Yale meet, there is no very experienced man. Among the most prominent in hurdling are F. S. Allen '16, F. Brooks '15, W. G. Brackett '14, R. G. Carter '16, P. G. Courtney '15, T. O. Freeman '14, W. W. Mansfield '15, K. F. Pantzer '14, P. M. Rice '15, M. P. Robinson '15, and H. St. J. Smith '15.

Only one high-jumper has been lost by graduation, so that event will be one of the University's strongest. J. B. Camp '15, who tied for first place in the Yale meet last spring and J. O. Johnstone '16, who broke the dual record in the Freshman meet, are both men of excellent ability. Others who will no doubt do well, are W. Blanchard '16, A. T. Bunten '14, A. D. Chandler '14, E. C. B. Danforth '15, and T. P. Fowler '16.

The broad-jump is uncertain, Yale being strong and the University of unknown quality. W. L. Allen '14, F. J. O'Brien '14, H. W. D. Rudd '15 and E. C. B. Danforth '15, are the best men out for positions on the team.

J. B. Camp '15 was second in the polevault against Yale last spring, and fourth in the Intercollegiates, and as Yale has lost the men who were first and third in the dual meet, the prospects for many points in this event are bright. M. L. Greeley '15, G. G. Haydock '16, P. M. Rice '15, L. G. Richards '16 and P. H. Smart '14, are also good pole-vaulters.

The most prominent competitors in the shot-put are C. E. Brickley '15, and H. R. Hardwick '15, second and third in the Yale meet, and R. T. P. Storer '14.

T. Cable '13, who graduated last year was the Intercollegiate champion hammer-thrower for two years in succession. The team will have a hard time to find a weight man to take his place. The team, however, is better off in this event than Yale, which has no point winner back. Last year H. S. Sturgis '15 won third place in the Yale meet, H. D. Burch '14 and S. B. Pennock '15 are also good men.

The greatest strength of the University team seems to lie in the distance runs, the high-jump, and in the pole-vault. Yale is strongest in the half-mile and in the low hurdles. The new arrangement in the Intercollegiates, whereby five instead of four places will count makes it impossible to predict the team's showing under the rule, but taking everything into consideration it appears probable that the team will rank very well this year.

Hurdlers Meet Tomorrow.

There will be an important meeting of all University and Freshman hurdlers at the Varsity Club tomorrow at 7 o'clock. W. M. Rand '09, captain of the University track team of that year will give a talk. Some photographs will be shown illustrating the proper hurdling form.

Every man who has already been at work, and all those who are planning to try out for the hurdles, should report tomorrow and avail themselves of this opportunity to learn the first principles of the form used in both the high and low hurdles.