TRACK UNDER ADVERSITIES

One Hundred Men Out for First Spring practice -- Enthusiastic Meeting at Locker Building.

Over 100 men reported for the first spring track practice yesterday afternoon. Before beginning actual work a meeting of candidates which filled the track-room and overflowed onto the stairs, heard the plans for the season outlined by Captain W. A. Barron, Jr., '14, and received brief general instructions from Coach Donovan. Captain Barron explained the spirit of enthusiastic determination and harmony which is absolutely necessary to the success of the team, and warned the men against the overconfidence which resulted in the loss of the Yale meet last spring. He urged candidates not to be backward in consulting the coaches about any trouble whatsoever which they feel to be interfering with their work. Coach Donovan brought out the point that yesterday really marked the beginning of the season and prescribed strict observance of the customary rules of training.

In spite of the snow-storm, light work was begun immediately. Except by the candidates for the University and Freshman one-mile relay teams which will be sent to the Penn Relay Games in Philadelphia on Aprial, 25, no heavy work will be undertaken this week. Punctual attendance at practice and strict observance of training rules will, however, be required of all candidates henceforth.