TRANSCRIPT REFUTES HOLLIS

BOSTON NEWSPAPER REPLIES TO ARGUMENTS IN SPEECH OF MONDAY.

The Boston Transcript yesterday commented editorially on Senator Hollis's recent remarks about Harvard and colleges in general as follows:

"When the senator says: 'I believe I am the first Harvard man with radical views to occupy a seat in the Senate, he may be ignorant or merely conceited, but he is far from the fact." (The names of two former Harvard radicals were then mentioned).

"But faulty as is the senator's research of history his ignorance of present day conditions is even worse. He denounces our colleges is even worse. He denounces our colleges as 'reactionary' and the 'greatest dead-weight the capitalist can fasten upon the necks of the American people. 'Politics,' he says, the colleges look upon as a low pursuit, and college opinion is regarded by our legislators as a joke. He thinks it a great pity that the political arm of our State and National Governments should not receive support from our colleges. Never in the history of the country have the nation and the state leaned so heavily upon our colleges for expert assistance and advice in every line of Governmental work as today. After only two years political experience a college professor was elected President by the American people. In nearly every State in the Union co-operation between educator and legislator is extensive and rapidly increasing.

The Transcript then called attention to the work of Harvard professors as mentioned in the editorial in yesterday's CRIMSON, and also referred to the work of professors at other colleges.

"The only place in the Government service today where college opinion and college men are regarded as a joke is in the Department of State. Mr. Bryan has driven J. B. Moore, a world authority on international law, from the post of counselor back to his chair at Columbia University. He has dismissed from the diplomatic service, after thirty years brilliant work, W. W. Rockhill, a college graduate whom the Chinese government is now seeking to employ as its chief adviser. In the place of a college man as First Assistant Secretary of State, Mr. Bryan has substituted a Wyoming apothecary; as Latin American adviser a college man has been kicked out and a Texan his place, and these are only examples of Mr. Bryan's selections.

Senator Hollis is correct, however, in his statement that he does not fairly represent Harvard College in the Senate of the United States. Nor did he represent the Senate in what he said at Harvard, for he misrepresented the facts not only with respect to the college of New England, but of the country."

Professor C. T. Copeland will read at the Boston Harvard Club Friday evening