TENNIS AHEAD.

It did not snow yesterday. And if it does not snow more than seven days a week in the next week or two there will be tennis playing. At least there will be many desirous of playing the game. But it is certain that the usual overcrowding of courts will prevent full accommodation.

Several plans for improving the present situation, such as reserving courts in advance, have been proposed. But such schemes are at best merely palliative. The only adequate remedy is the construction of more courts. And Soldiers Field is the only permanently available ground. The argument that Soldiers Field is too exposed and wet is at best only an excuse. With the provision of wind breaks and foundation beds adequately drained, or by the use of the new creosote block surfacing, excellent courts could be secured.

At the same time a portion of the courts on Jarvis Field could be remodelled so as to be suitable for the use of the University team. The intercollegiate champions are at least worthy of courts on which satisfactory practice can be secured. There is money and enough comes into the Athletic Association from the tennis courts to pay for a fair amount of support.