OLD AND NEW PLAN STANDING

Men Entering Under New Plan Still Lead in Number of Honor Grades Although Losing Slightly.

In order to compare the work of the men who entered under the new plan with that of the men entering under the old plan, a summary has been made of the marks received by the Freshman class during the first half-year. A fair idea of the relation of these two groups may now be obtained, for the double system of admission has been in practice for three years. The present Freshmen had ample opportunity to understand what the requirements were.

Only 570 cases have been considered in the figuring, 25 less than last year. There is a marked increase in the number of new plan men, 186 or 32.6 per cent. of 1917 entering in this way. Last year 142 men or 23.8 per cent. of the class came in on the new plan. Of the present Freshman class, 384 entered on the old system, while there were 453 men last year.

The figures show a slight falling off in the percentage of honor grades among the new plan men. This year 40.6 per cent received honor grades, as against 42.4 per cent. for 1916, and 44.9 per cent. for 1915. For the old plan men the per cent. shows an increase of 1.1. per cent. over last year, 22.2 per cent. of 1917 receiving honor grades.

In regard to those receiving a grade of D or lower, 34.2 per cent of the old plan men of 1917 received that grade as compared with 31.1 per cent. for 1916 and 29 per cent. for 1915. The new plan men fared even worse, for 19.2 per cent. of 1917 received D or lower, while only 13.3 and 11.6 per cent of 1916 and 1915 respectively received the low grades.