AUSPICIOUS BASEBALL OPENING

UNIVERSITY TEAM DEFEATS COLGATE SHOWING MID-SEASON FORM.

The University baseball team made an auspicious opening of the 1914 season yesterday afternoon when Colgate was defeated by the score of 7 to 1.

The Harvard team played in mid-season form both in the field and at bat, Thirteen hits in the first game of the year marks one of the best beginnings in the history of Harvard baseball. Besides this only two errors in the field were made which is a distinctly uncommon occurrence at the opening of a college baseball season.

Pitcher Hicks had but few deceptive shoots in his repertoire but he would have made a better showing had his team-mates given him creditable support as only two of Harvard's runs were earned.

Battery in Good Form.

On the other hand, Frye was at his best and had the visitors at his mercy throughout the entire game. He allowed but two hits and his control was almost perfect, only one base on balls being given. Waterman caught his first game on the University team in gilt-edged manner and to him and Frye go the greatest credit for yesterday's victory. The two other new men Nash and Fripp gave abundant evidence that the two po- sitions made vacant by graduation last year will be well taken care of this season.

The fielding features of the game were two spectacular catches by Abell in left field.

The Scoring.

Colgate scored its single tally in the sixth when Hick's drive went between Ayres's legs. Hicks went to third when Waterman threw wild after Robinson had dropped a pretty bunt in front of the plate. McLoughlin hit an easy one to Frye who threw to Clark at second catching Robinson. Hicks scored on the play. A beautiful double play, Frye to Wingate to Ayres, broke up the inning.

Harvard scored one in the third. Waterman singled, was sacrificed to second by Frye and scored on Johnson's error. In the seventh, Frye singled and got to second when Nash dropped a bunt along the third base line. Robinson made a bad throw to first allowing Frye to clear the circuit and Nash to reach third. Nash scored on Clark's sacrifice fly to left.

The real swat fest was served in the eighth. Hardwick singled to centre and got to second when Fripp beat out a bunt. A wild pitch by Hicks advanced each a base. They scored on Frye's single. Frye advanced to third on Nash's single and both of these men scored on an error by Johnson and Clark's single.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nash, c.f.,  3  2  2  0  0  0Wingate, s.s.,  3  0  1  2  3  0Clark, 2b.,  3  0  1  2  3  0Ayres, 1b.,  5  0  2  13  0  1Gannett, r.f.,  4  0  1  1  0  0Hardwick, l.f.,  4  1  1  1  0  0Milholland, 3b.,  1  0  0  2  0  0Fripp, 3b.,  1  1  1  0  1  0Waterman, c.,  4  1  1  6  0  1Frye, p.,  3  2  3  0  7  0*Mahan,  1  0  0  0  0  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals,  32  7  13  27  14  2COLGATE.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Robinson, c.,  4  0  0  1  5  0McLoughlin, c.f.,  4  0  0  3  0  0Glendenning, 3b.,  4  0  1  3  2  1Abell, l.f.,  3  0  1  3  0  0Johnson, s.s.,  3  0  0  3  2  2Sefton, r.f.,  3  0  0  1  0  0Perrin, 1b.,  2  0  0  8  0  0Jackson, 2b.,  3  0  0  2  1  1Hicks, p.,  3  1  0  0  2  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals,  29  1  2  24  12