THE UNIVERSITY AND BOSTON

Harvard Men on Chamber of Commerce Helping Good Government.

The Committee on Municipal and Metropolitan Affairs of the Boston Chamber of Commerce, of which Professor W. B. Munro is chairman, has begun to assume an influential part in governmental changes in Boston. Professor Munro was first appointed chairman in January, 1910, and since that time, by applying his knowledge of what is going on in other cities and in other countries, he has made the services of this committee not only valuable but necessary to the Chamber.

Activities of Committee.

The main duty of the committee is to pass upon the most important matters relating to city and general government affecting the metropolitan district. Recently the committee submitted reports on two significant changes in the government of Boston. The first recommends a change in the budget system to correspond with that now in use in New York. This is the so-called "segregated budget" based on the estimates of the heads of departments and other officials showing in detail the specific items, whereas at present the lump appropriation budget is used in Boston. The report also recommends a standardizing of the salaries and wages of city officials with a possibility of obtaining co-operation with the civil service commission.

A second report just made to the Chamber supports a bill to amend the charter of Boston. The committee recommends that the city elections take place between December 14 and 20, and that the number of signatures required for nominations for mayor be reduced from 5000 to 2000 for members of the City Council. The committee is at present considering a contract for lighting all the streets in Boston for a period of ten years.

Professor Munro's work has been highly spoken of, and his reports are complete and comprehensive. That the Committee on Municipal and Metropolitan Affairs holds a high position in the Chamber of Commerce is unquestioned.

Two other Harvard professors are members of committees in the Chamber. Professor C. J. Bullock, of the Economics Department, was appointed a member of the Committee on Taxation four years ago, and with the exception of last year when he was personal adviser of Governor Foss, he has served continually since that time. He proposes the adoption of a system of taxation on personal property, whereby the tax could be levied uniformly and equally and the collection could be made more thorough and systematic. Professor Bullock was also a member of the Committee on the Taxation of Forest Lands which recently proposed a bill for state ownership of forests.

G. G. Wilson, professor of International Law, is a member of the Committee on Panama Canal Tolls, an important factor in the settlement of questions arising under this head