INTERESTING HAPPENINGS AT YALE

Special Weekly Letter From Yale Dally News.--Elect Captains.

During a week of varied interest several events of importance have occurred in the fields of scholarship and athletics. On Saturday, March 21, Sigma Xi Society gave its nineteenth annual banquet in Memorial Hall. Over 100 guests were present. On Monday the general Faculty announced the adoption of a plan for a system of honors similar to the English and Canadian systems. It will go into effect in the fall of 1915, and will affect the Junior and Senior classes. Another important announcement made on the same day was that of the recommendation by the Senior Council, with the approval of the Faculty, of an Honor System for the Academic Department. It is to be voted on Friday, April 3, a ratification of three-fourths of the College being required for its adoption.

The track management has given notice that practice for the squad will be held at Yale Field during the Easter vacation. The Junior Promenade Committee issued a statement on Tuesday in which the receipts recorded for this year totaled $8,195.80, and expenditures $6,596.28, thus leaving a surplus of $1,599.52. The first of the eleventh annual series of Silliman Lectures was given on Monday afternoon by Dr. Joseph Paxon Iddings on the subject of the "Phenomena of Volcanism." On Tuesday evening Phi Beta Kappa celebrated its one hundred and thirty-fourth anniversary with a banquet at the Taft Hotel. Twenty-eight members of the Junior class were initiated immediately before the banquet. On the same evening Professor Bliss Perry of Harvard delivered the second of the Bromley Lectures on Journalism, Literature, and Public Affairs.

Dean C. Worcester, F.R.G.S., lectured in Woolsey Hall on Wednesday evening under the auspices of the Aurelian Honor Society of the Sheffield Scientific School on the subject "Higher Education of the Present Contrasted with that of the Past, as Illustrated in the Philippine Islands." The lecture was illustrated by slides that Mr. Worcester had secured while working in the Philippines.

E. J. Stackpole, 1915, was elected basketball captain for next year, and C. H. Roberts, Jr., 1916, was elected assistant manager. J. C. Herman will be manager. The Sophomore and Freshman Fence Orators were chosen during the week. Curtis B. Munson will represent the Sophomores, and Maurice R. Smith, the Freshmen.

At a meeting of the swimming insignia men on the same evening, D. Summers, G.S., was elected captain of the swimming team for next-year. H. Mayer, 1915, was chosen manager. On Saturday the soccer team defeated Columbia in a brilliant and exciting game by a score of 5 to 4, gaining the winning point in the last minute of play.