COUNCIL ACTS ON PROBATION

AIMS TO STIMULATE SENTIMENT AGAINST NEGLECT OF OBLIGATIONS.

At a meeting of the entire Student Council in the Union last night, the following resolutions regarding probation were drawn up:

"It is the feeling of the Student Council that a student who, by inattention to his studies or for other reasons, endangers his standing so that it becomes necessary that he be placed on probation, injuries thereby the best interests of the undergraduates in all cases, and if he is thus debarred from representing the University in any capacity, does an additional injury to all who are interested in its reputation; and it is also believed that the sentiment against probation should be strengthened among the undergraduates as far as possible."

After a good deal of discussion and speeches from a graduate's point of view by Mr. J. W. Farley '99 and Coach P. D. Haughton '99, it was unanimously voted, "that a committee consisting of at least three undergraduates and two graduates, with power to add to their numbers, be appointed by the Executive Committee to investigate the best methods for simulating the sentiment against probation; that for this purpose the Committee consult with the officers of the University and such other persons as it may deem best; and that this Committee report its recommendations to the next meeting of the Council."

A new constitution for the Harvard University Musical Clubs Association was presented by the officers of the individual clubs, and after some discussion it was voted to be put into effect.

It was also voted that all athletes who write signed articles for newspapers must first obtain the consent of the head-coach and of the chairman of the Athletic Committee.