HARVARD GLEE CLUB TRIUMPHS

AWARDED FIRST PRIZE IN FIRST INTERCOLLEGIATE CONTEST IN NEW YORK.

The University Glee Club was declared the winner of the intercollegiate contest held in New York last Saturday. In addition to Harvard the contestants were Columbia, Dartmouth and Pennsylvania. This was the first attempt at an intercollegiate affair of this kind and each club was well represented by enthusiastic devotees, many of whom deferentially arose when their respective college songs were being sung. The prize won by the University Glee Club was a library of music presented by Mr. R. E. Schirmer. The judges were Professor Horatio W. Parker, Mr. Arthur Mees, and Mr. Arthur W. Woodruff. The object of the competition is to heighten the interest in the work of undergraduate glee clubs. It is very probable that this will be made an annual event.

Dr. Davison Opens Program.

Dr. A. T. Davison, Jr., '06 opened the program with an organ recital: "Romance," by Rheinberger, and "Toccata," by Widor. The thirty members of the Harvard Glee Club sang: "At Sea," by Buck, the "Serenade," by Borodine, and several football songs. After the award of the prize the one hundred and twenty members of the four glee clubs rendered the "Stein Song" as the finale of the program.

One of the special features of the evening, which was not connected with the competition, was the singing of the Glee Club of the University of New York, conducted by Mr. Woodruff, with Mr. Werrenrath, soloist. Another excellent number was a violin solo, "Die Meistersinger," by Wagner-Wilhelmj, and played by Mr. C. E. Griffith, Jr., of Dartmouth.