PROBATION: A DISQUISITION.

The true effectiveness of probation, like that of the honor system in regard to theses and reports, is a matter of undergraduate opinion, and undergraduate opinion seems sadly lacking; it even passes indifferently over those men who, having the ability to represent the University in one form of undergraduate activity or another, are forced to retire by "difficulties with the College Office"--men who perhaps have most cause for going on probation, because of press of outside work, but men who by the same token should be most ashamed to go on, since they may be harming not only their own standing but that of the whole University.

Here are a few of the flagrant cases of the year in which various activities have lost by probation: the baseball team--a regular pitcher and two men worthy of places on the first squad; next fall's football team--an "H" man, one of its best players; the track team --an almost sure point winner in the shorter runs; the CRIMSON -- two men about to be elected to the board, one of whom was twice eligible; the Lampoon--an officer; the Pudding show--one of its best features; the Senior Class officers--two men.

Naturally probation has a shifting standard. All men do not deserve it equally; some deserve it more, some less; some who should be on, are not there. The point is that all who are on deserve it. A bare two C's and a D, a fairly regular attendance at lectures, is not an exorbitant demand; and the men who fail to meet the demand, fail as a rule through indifference and not inability.

It is characteristic of man and particularly the undergraduate to treat other men's conduct with an easy outward tolerance. Where a great many feel disgusted with men who do this or that or, with responsibilities to uphold, go on probation, very few show their disapproval. Tolerance is an essential of breadth; perhaps even a tolerance as wide as the undergraduate's is an essential, though it fails to hold backsliders up to the mark. But three-quarters of the men mentioned above and three-quarters of all men on probation are there because of indifference; and they must know that a very considerable proportion of the undergraduates look upon them with an inward irritation, as men who have undertaken tasks and quit them with little grace. If they talked with a few graduates, they might learn the feeling of shame that comes later from failure to help the University or oneself simply because of indifference.

The Office has done its part in placing probation in light repute by making it a penalty for failure to pass the Orals. The discontinuance of this policy and the possibility of an improved system of administration might well be discussed by the Student Council committee which is to be appointed. It may be advantageous to open the CRIMSON columns, heretofore passing over probation in silence, to the publication of delinquents. Whatever the committee decides or accomplishes, however, the greatest power behind probation will be undergraduate opinion. Let the many who inwardly disapprove of the men who sink into probation, express their disapproval. At least let all in the place of those named above realize that they have not reached that place without losing the respect of some.