PERIODICAL CONTEST AT 3

LAMPY TRAILS US AROUND SACKS IN ANNUAL DIAMOND SLAUGHTER.

The journalistic baseball season winds up in a torrent of tallies on Soldiers Field this afternoon when those ancient rivals from the Mt. Auburn street tomb and the Union basement, respectively, cross steins in their 'steenth annual battle. The features of the game will be a corps of trained waiters who will serve refreshments without cessation on the second and third stations.

A mound struggle royal is promised with "Lefty" Herter and "Long Sinister" Wentworth--the reversible southpaw battery succeeding one another with kaleidoscopic rapidity on the hurling slab for the purple fellows with the yellow streaks; and Hall, the terror of Montclair, N. J., or Morris, the grand old man of the Western Plains League, dampening the spheroid for the daily boys. The CRIMSON team will be greatly strengthened by Reynolds, lately released by the Newell Club, who will officiate astern the bat, and hold the would-be pilferers snugly to their pillows. Captain McIntosh of the scholars, will be seen again in short field; and Captain Baker will probably stab the wild ones from the first sack.

The Lampoon team is an example of vast incongruity, where sympathy enters into and prevents our appreciation of the comic. From Capt. Herter down through the whole board to Kettell at the bottom, it presents a pitiful mosaic of baseball inability. In lieu of anything better, H. G. Francke '14 has been secured to umpire.

The line-ups: CRIMSON.  LAMPOON. Osborne, c.f.  c.f., Sanger McIntosh, s.s.  3b., Connell Reynolds, c.  c., Wentworth Baker, 1b.  s.s., Wainwright Morris, 3b.  p., Herter Hall, p.  1b., Kettell Brown, r.f.  2b., Thayer Grinnell, 2b.  l.f., Baldwin Smith, l.f.  r.f., French