SUBWAY WORK PROGRESSING

August 1 Date Set for Completion of Tube Leading From Freshman Dormitories to Yard.

Work is progressing rapidly on the heat subway which is to run from the Freshman dormitories to the Yard. About 150 men have been working on it since April 28, and 3000 cubic yards of earth have been excavated. The subway consists of a re-enforced concrete tube, 8 feet square and about 1200 feet long, extending from the Freshman dormitories to Holyoke place; and from there up Linden street above the Park street subway and into the Yard.

The work to date has been somewhat hampered by the ground water which is encountered at a depth of 10 feet, this offering the most serious obstruction at the corner of Linden and Mt. Auburn streets. At that point an electric pump is in operation, which has a capacity of 700 gallons per minute, and it is there that the "sump well," or permanent drainage pump, will be placed at the completion of the subway. It is expected that the work will be finished about August 1, in ample time to be ready for operation when College opens.