5 BOWDOIN PRIZES AWARDED

2 GRADUATES AND 3 UNDERGRADUATES HONORED IN PRIZE ESSAY CONTEST.

Bowdoin prizes amounting to $850 were distributed among three undergraduates and two graduate students yesterday afternoon by the announcement of the award by the committee of judges. The competition for the Bowdoin prizes this year has been one of the largest and most representative. Eighty-three essays were submitted, 37 of undergraduate and 46 of graduate students.

Joel Dibble Austin '16, of Dorchester, won the first prize of $250 for the best undergraduate essay. His subject was "A Defense of Debussy." Joseph Vincent Fuller '14, of St. Paul, Minn., and Herbert Aaron Friedlich '15, of Toledo, O., were each awarded a second prize of $100. Their essays dealt respectively with "The Congresses of Troppau and Laybach," and "Taine's 'Origines de la France Contemporaine.'"

In Group IV, Modern Languages and Literature, John Gilbert D'Arcy Paul 1G., of Baltimore, Md., was awarded a $200 graduate prize for his essay on "Mr. Henry James: A Sauntering." In Group VI, Philosophy, Education, and Fine Arts, Norbert Wiener 4G., of Cambridge, won a prize of $200 for his essay on "Relativism." No award was made in Group V, History, Government, and Economics.

In addition to the prize winners, the following 14 were granted honorable mention, which is to be taken into account in the award of scholarships and degrees with distinction: Frederick Eaton Abbe '14 of Fall River; Douglas Martyn Beers '15, of Lawrence; Paul Pincus Cohen '16, of Buffalo, N. Y.; Edmund Russell Davis '14, of South Lincoln; Archer Donald Douglas '14, of St. Louis, Mo.; Joseph Vincent Fuller '14, of St. Paul, Minn.; Edward Augustine Lawlor '15, of Lawrence; William Moulton Marston '15, of Cliftondale; Richard Stockton Meriam '14, of Salem; Stearns Morse '15, of Tyngsboro; Charles Christian Peterson '15, of East Boston; Emmet Russell '14, of Kansas City, Mo.; Harold Elmer Staples '14, of Brattleboro, Vt.; Robert Leopold Wolf '15, of Cleveland, O.