HARVARD CLUB TEAM BEATEN

BOSTON ALUMNI LOSE BASEBALL GAME.--FELTON LACKS CONTROL.

The Harvard Club of Boston proved an easy victim for the University nine on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The final count was 6 to 1. Felton, of last year's team, started in the box for the visitors but he lacked both curves and his former speed, and retired in favor of Hicks in the first of the seventh. Hicks was a puzzle to the University batters as they were unable to secure a safe hit from him. His control was not of the best, however, as he gave two bases on balls which later proved disastrous. Both Felton and Hicks were given wretched support, Marshall at short stop being the worst offender in this respect. He had three errors marked against him.

Hitchcock and Frye divided the pitching for the University and both worked creditably. They were also given good support by the rest of the team. Osborn did well behind the bat, his throwing being particularly commendable. Fripp, who started the game in centre field, accepted two fielding chances in good shape but was weak with the bat and gave way to Milholland in the fifth. Hardwick also replaced Mahan in left in this same inning.

Two in Opener.

The University team got two runs in the first. Wingate was hit by a pitched ball and completed the circuit when Hicks threw the ball over third base after Clark had beaten out a hit. Clark went to third on the same wild heave. He scored when Marshall let Ayres's drive go between his legs.

In the third Clark got to first on Marshall's error and tallied on singles by Ayres and Gannett. In the fifth, Wingate got to first on Hicks's error. He stole second and scored when Clark secured his second hit of the day. The latter went to second when Reeves made a bad return to Felton. He reached third on Ayres's out, Dexter to Hicks, and scored when Hardwick singled.

The last run came in the eighth. Gannett and Hardwick drew passes. Gannett got to third when Milholland hit to Dexter, forcing Hardwick at second. Dexter tried for a double play but his throw was bad and Gannett scored.

The Harvard Club's lonesome tally, which was earned, came in the seventh. Marshall singled and went to second on Clifford's out. He scored when Haydock secured his third single of the day.

The game for the most part was lifeless and devoid of features. The University team backed up the pitchers better than they did in the Pennsylvania and Holy Cross games, and showed considerably more energy on the bases.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nash, 1b.,  4  0  1  5  0  0Wingate, s.s.,  3  2  0  2  3  1Clark, 2b.,  4  3  2  3  1  1Ayres, 3b.,  4  0  1  2  2  0Gannett, r.f.,  3  1  2  2  2  0Mahan, l.f.,  1  0  0  0  0  0Hardwick, l.f.,  1  0  0  0  0  0Fripp, c.f.,  2  0  0  2  0  0Milholland, c.f.,  2  0  0  1  0  0Hitchcock, p.,  2  0  1  0  1  0Frye, p.,  2  0  0  0  2  0Osborn, c.,  3  0  0  10  3  0Totals,  31  6  8  27  12