SHUT OUT FOR SYRACUSE

FRYE IN BOX FOR UNIVERSITY ONLY LETS ONE MAN REACH SECOND.

Brilliant work in the field and air-tight pitching brought Harvard a well-earned victory over the Syracuse nine Saturday afternoon by a 3 to 0 score. Incidentally it was the first shut-out seen on Soldiers field this season and the second of the year.

Frye was in the box for the University team, and he showed even better form than heretofore. He kept the visitors under complete control throughout the contest as is shown by the fact that only one man got as far as second base. Four worthless hits and no bases on balls made the sum total of Frye's charity.

A perfectly fielded game was the contribution of the twirler's team-mates, the bright features of the afternoon being attributed to Gannett, Milholland, Ayres and the participants in the lightning double play in the fourth. Gannett made a remarkably fast play on Nichols's clean drive over first in the sixth inning. Coming in at full speed, he scooped the ball on the run and threw to Nash just in time to beat Nichols, and in doing so he completed a play seldom seen on any ball field. Milholland was unusually busy all afternoon, accepting five chances without a slip. As for the infield, it played its usual top-notch game, the Frye to Wingate to Nash combination stopping a rally in the fourth.

As in the Virginia game, Harvard jumped into the contest at the very start. Nash drove a single past Decker, advanced to second on Wingate's sacrifice, and took third when Farber let one of Nichols's shoots get by him. With two down, Ayres delivered the necessary hit by smashing one over the shortstop's head, allowing Nash to walk home.

As the innings went by with both pitchers working strongly, this lone tally seemed fairly large. Nevertheless, when Nichols weakened in the seventh, the Crimson lost no time in making the victory secure. After Gannett had drawn a base on balls, Mahan, running for him, stole second. Hardwick fanned, but Milholland sent Mahan to third on a hit and run play. This time Frye was the pinchhitter and he sent a hit into right, scoring Mahan and taking second while Slater juggled with the ball. Osborn went to first when he was hit, and Nash thereupon secured his third single of the afternoon by sending a line drive over Nichols, scoring Frye for the third run of the game.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nash, 1b.  4  1  3  10  1  0Wingate, s.s.  2  0  0  2  1  0Clark, 2b.  4  0  1  1  2  0Ayres, 3b.  4  0  1  1  3  0Gannett, r.f.  1  0  0  1  1  0*Mahan, r.f.  0  1  0  0  0  0Hardwick, l.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0Milholland, c.f.  2  0  1  5  0  0Frye, p.  3  1  1  1  3  0Osborn,  2  0  0  6  0  0Totals,  26  3  7  27  11