INTERCOLLEGIATE LOVING CUPS.

In his communication to the Yale News, reprinted in this morning's CRIMSON, Mr. William E. Hocking, a Yale graduate, says much that is true and worth consideration, about the relationship between Yale and Harvard. His plea that the friendly feeling between the two Universities be strengthened is timely in view of the keenness of the athletic rivalry that is every day manifesting itself. He tells how Yale '89 presented Harvard '89 with a loving cup.

Loving cups, per se, are about as useless objects as one can well imagine. They cannot be used to hold flowers, nor yet potations. As decorations they suggest proficiency at golf or the modern dances. But the idea behind them, the spirit which actuates a Yale class to present a loving cup to a Harvard class--or vice versa, more than makes up for their intrinsic uselessness. They stand for courtesy and friendship. Yet the presentation of cups to Yale or Harvard classes should not become a mere custom. A loving cup, given because it is the thing to do or because it is always done is even more worthless than the ordinary variety. With every such presentation there should be an increased feeling of real friendship between the two Universities.