Liquor and Class Congenialty.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As one of the "Revolutionists," I beg to make reply to the letter in yesterday's CRIMSON upholding drinking at class smokers. The writer asks--"Have those who prefer beer ever objected to the serving of ginger ale or sarsaparilla"? Let me suggest that the men who drink beer never have any excuse for objecting to their soft-drink neighbors. In many cases, the compliment cannot be returned. He then asks--"How many members of the class would attend a smoker at which no beer was served"? If a man has so little class spirit, that he will not come to a smoker unless beer is served there, it would seem that the class would be benefitted by his absence. Personally, I have every reason for believing that there exists in the Freshman class as large a group of men who stay away from smokers because beer is served, as the probable group who would not attend in the absence of that form of refreshment. Thus, the loss of one group is offset by the gain of another.

One of the writer's most insidious arguments is that this practice does not injure the name of the College. All authorities are agreed that drinking, in any amount, is physically harmful. Millions of people throughout this country believe it to be morally wrong. This College ought to embody, both in theory and practice, the highest ideals of conduct. Is it, then, not a detrimental thing for the reputation of the College if it sanctions drinking in any way? If a man must needs drink as an individual, that is one thing; but for the classes, as direct representatives of the College to support this practice, is quite another matter.

The "Revolutionists" are not trying to "force their views on the majority." All revolutions and all reforms must be started by a minority. The indifference of many people and the active opposition of others towards all proposed reforms must be taken as a matter of course. All reforms are at first regarded with disfavor by the majority. Finally, I would say that the "Revolutionists," in common with the upholders of the present system, desire fellowship and sociability at the meetings, but we believe that the serving of beer is an artificial and unnecessary way in which to secure conditions of congeniality. L. BRENTANO '18.