PLAY MARKED BIG ADVANCE

Workshop New Beyond Experimental Stage in Dramatic Work.

The 47 Workshop has just completed second large theatrical experiment of year,-the production of M. W. Reed's four-act comedy, "In For Himself." new of the strides this organization made since its inception, and of the that Professor Baker's Workshop for the experimental production of in the making has not only made it known throughout this country abroad, but has come to be more thoroughly grasped by all concerned, especially the audience, it is fitting that something be said of its aims and accomplishments.

A little more than two years ago the "Workshop," founded in connection with Professor Baker's courses on the technique of the drama, English 47 and a gave its first production. The workshop was not endowed; it had no entire of its own, nor even any definite to hold its rehearsals. Permission gained to stage its productions in Agassiz House Theatre, where the workshop has ever since produced its plays.

Some idea of the difficulties under such it has had to work may be gained nothing the following dimensions of the stage: proscenium arch, 20 feet, inches; backline, 17 feet, 10 inches; at wings, 11 feet, 4 inches. In of the ambitions productions which Workshop attempts to stage, the size the stage on which it has to work is a handicap.

The original idea of the Workshop not only to produce the plays submit in English 47 and 47a in as professional a manner as possible, but as well give those interested in the allied arts the stage an opportunity to try, out ideas and to get some practical experience. Accordingly, a stage staff was usually organized consisting of scene designers and painters, managers, elec

tricians and property men. All the lighting is done by its own electricians, and the acting is done by members of the Workshop Company.

This year the University authorities allowed the Workshop the use of a part of Dane Hall for its scene painting and rehearsals. This is the first step taken by the University at large in recognizing the needs of the Workshop and in making some provision for it.

During the past Christmas vacation the Workshop gave several performances of "The Chimes" outside of Cambridge in such places as the Roxbury Neighborhood House and the Charlestown High School, which met with much success.

Following is a list of the Workshop productions to date in the order of their production: "Lina Amuses Herself," by Fenimore Merrill; "Educated," by Miss Winneck; "Molly Make-Believe," an adaptation by Miss Eleanor Hallowell Abbott of her successful novel (repeated for two public performances); "Home, Sweet Home," by Miss Violet B. Robinson; "The Romance of the Rose," by Sam Hume and T. M. Spellman, 2d, '13; "Maitre Patelin," a revival of the old French farce; "The Call of the Mountain," by E. C. Ranck '12; The Revesby Sword Play; "The Chimes," by Miss Elizabeth McFadden; "Yvon, the Daring," by Anna S. MacDonald; "His Womentolk," by Miss Abby Merchant; "The Only Girl in Sight," by Miss Caroline Budd; "In For Himself," by M. W. Reed 2G