SELF-INTEREST AND SNAPS.

Dr. H. N. MacCracken, in his inaugural address yesterday as president of Vassar, called attention to the concentration and purpose with which students in professional and trades schools pursue their studies. Evidence of this is afforded every day in the University. The seriousness and industry of law and business school men is often a revelation to the undergraduate who is bent on enjoying his "four years' loaf." President MacCracken attributes this spirit to self-interest: "The trade, the profession, the definite pursuit, beckon instinctively every hour."

Undoubtedly the acquisition of culture does not possess the powerful appeal of the bread-winning professions. Few students are far-sighted enough to realize that in the long run the broadening of one's horizon and the cultivation of concentration and steadiness of purpose will prove even materially remunerative. Yet statistics compiled by President Lowell have proved conclusively that the men who have acquired these things in college have made the greatest worldly successes. And, according to an investigation recently conducted by Hobart College, the consensus of the opinion of successful men is that these are the qualities which university training should develop.

To urge the undergraduate, however, to a more serious life does not promise much. The scholarship groups and prizes undoubtedly have considerable effect as a stimulus. But on the other hand, the lax requirements in certain courses, requirements which can be technically satisfied by nominal effort, actually promote slip-shod work. In some of the more advanced courses especially the theory in force is that of allowing wide choice and initiative as regards reading. Sometimes this reading is not tested, and the students' word is taken as sufficient evidence that it has been adequately done. Without wishing to attack student honor unduly, one may suggest that this is not a very dependable method. It results too often in glancing over the matter to be read, if the reader has a conscience; otherwise nothing is done.

The elective system goes too far when it not only allows choice among courses but between working and not working, after the course has been chosen. If students refuse to absorb culture when it is placed temptingly before them, it is still possible to require it for the passing mark, and thus to appeal to self-interest.