NATIONAL SECURITY LEAGUE PRIZE ESSAY DUE NOVEMBER 1

Articles on Preparedness to be Handed in on That Date.--Other Competitions Close.

The National Security League announces a prize of $500 for the best essay or article demonstrating the necessity and wisdom of reasonable preparedness against war by the United States. This competition is open to anyone. The manuscript, not to exceed 5000 words must be signed by a nom de plume and accompanied by a letter containing the author's real name. The competition closes on November 1, the decision, resting with five persons of national prominence, to be announced on Thanksgiving Day. The article will be judged by its value in awakening popular appreciation of our national peril and necessities as well as its literary merit.

Mr. Waddil Catchings, LL.B. '04, offers again this year his prize of $200 for the best thesis on any subject related to house plumbing or the materials used in plumbing systems. The thesis must relate to some original study and the contest is open to any student in the University or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The subject must be approved in writing before November 15, 1915. The thesis must contain from 5,000 to 10,000 words exclusive of tables and drawings, and three typewritten copies must be handed in on or before May 1, 1916. Further information in regard to this prize may be obtained from Professor Whipple either at Pierce 212 or Room 46a of Engineering Building A, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

This prize was awarded to W. Goettling '16 last year.

The Federation of American Zionists offers $100 and bronze medal for an essay on some phase of "Jewish Culture and Life in Palestine." This competition also closes on November 1, 1915. All manuscripts should be addressed to the Federation, 44 East 23d street, New York City.