PILGRIMS WIN THROUGH HITTING

Extra Inning Necessary Before Rovers Can Tie Score.

The Rovers were unable to stop the Pilgrim nine on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon and the latter team batted out a 5 to 3 victory. Hitchcock and Garritt twirled for the Rovers while C. B. McLaughlin '11, captain of the University 1911 nine, and Harry Martin, of Tufts and the "Athletics" were in the box for the winners. Knowles was the only Rover to hit safely, banging out two solid whackz.

The Pilgrims put a strong line-up in the field, Harold Janvrin of the Red Sox covering the short field, Leo Dowd, formerly with the Yankees on first base, and Billy Connolly of the Washington Club on third. H. E. Reeves '12, who has coached the last three Freshman teams, was behind the bat. The fielding feature of the game was a long throw by Wyche nipping Connolly who was trying to go from first to third on a single to right field.

After nine rounds had been played, the teams chose to play an extra inning for practice, and the Rovers tied up the score on hits by Garritt and Nash, two bases on balls and an error.

The score by innings: Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9--R.  H.  E. Pilgrims,  2  0  0  0  2  0  1  0  0--5  8  2 Rovers,  0  1  0  0  2  0  0  0  0--3  2  5

Batteries--Pilgrims, McLaughlin, H. Martin, and Reeves; Rovers, Hitchcock, Garritt and Safford, Stevens.