DORMITORY SYSTEM BEING INTRODUCED AT CORNELL

One of New Groups of Halls Completed, Three Under Construction.

Cornell students this fall are living for the first time in a university dormitory. One of the new groups of residence halls is already finished, another is nearing completion, and a start has been made on two more. The whole system is expected eventually to embrace more than twenty buildings.

The new halls are on the hill overlooking Lake Cayuga, and a quarter of a mile from the main campus. They are of natural gray stone, obtained from a quarry a few hundred yards distant, and they are fireproof throughout. All necessary furniture is placed in the rooms by the university, and the rooms are rented according to the order in which applications for them are made.

The first building constructed was financed by the alumni fund, while the "tower building" was built from the gift of an anonymous donor, who has also furnished the money for the other two buildings now under construction. The entire system of buildings will be interrelated, and heated by the same plant. Near the centre of the unit will be two dining halls, where students may eat without having to go away from the dormitory grounds.