ELEVEN APPEARED SLOW TO GRASP NEW FORMATIONS

Yesterday's Scrimmage Was Impeded by Failure to Make Progress Desired by Coaches.

If the indications presented in yesterday's practice can form a fair basis for assumption, the present period of development in the University eleven is a critical one. At no time has the main difficulty which the coaches have encountered stood out more clearly in the path of the team's progress; the squad seems discouragingly slow to learn. The great inexperience of the men in comparison to other years is probably the main reason for this, but it is certain that the training given cannot possibly be as complete as that which last year's eleven received, for the apparent slowness of the men to "catch on" is retarding Coach Haughton's plans considerably.

Scrimmage Brought out Many Faults.

Both scrimmages yesterday, that between Teams A and B and that between a University team and the seconds, were stopped at frequent intervals to permit the coaches to correct faults. The same difficulty was present which was shown in Saturday's game with Virginia; the team moved through simple plays with creditable speed and precision, but any attempt on the part of the quarterback to run off a play approaching the complex inevitably resulted in confusion. Only one score was made, a touchdown by Nelson which resulted after a long succession of simple plunges through the weak centre of the seconds' line.

Coolidge was back in the game yesterday, but the report on Watson's condition gives rise to serious speculation whether or not he will be available for the big games. He has lost great weight, and even with a speedy return to health he would be a long time getting back into condition. The news that Enwright may be available to play against Princeton however, lent an encouraging aspect to the difficulties arising from the injured list.

The University lined up against the seconds as follows: L. Curtis, l.e.; Parson, l.t.; Burr, l.g.; Sagar, c.; Bigelow, r.g.; Caner, r.t.; Weatherhead, r.e.; Doherty, q.; Wiggin, l.h.b.; Nelson, r.h.b.; Rollins, f.b.