HARVARD MEDICAL UNIT WILL CONTINUE WORK IN FRANCE

New Corps to Enlist for Six Months Service Under Dr. Nichols '86.

The University has decided to maintain for an additional period of six months the hospital unit which has been carried on for wounded English soldiers in France. When the service was established in the summer, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and the University proposed to carry it on for nine months, each institution being responsible for three months of service. The Harvard unit was organized and it has conducted the hospital for almost three months, but Columbia and Johns Hopkins found that they could not obtain a satisfactory outfit of surgeons and nurses at this time of the year. The University will, therefore, continue the work.

The unit will be in charge of Dr. E. H. Nichols '86, who organized the former unit and went with it to the hospital in France. About 40 of the nurses and several of the surgeons now in service will remain in France, but about 25 surgeons and 35 nurses are needed to fill the places of those who will soon return to America.

All who apply must undertake to serve for the period of six months. Preference among the applicants for medical and surgical positions will be given to members of the University and to those who have recently graduated from hospitals. Applications from nurses must be made in person to H. H. White '93, University Press, Cambridge, from 9 to 5 o'clock. All applicants who are accepted must be inoculated against typhoid fever and vaccinated. The pay will be at the rate of the English army, plus certain allowances, and transportation will be paid both ways.