CORNELL TEAM PRIMED FOR TOMORROW'S GAME

Ithacan's Powerful Eleven Arrives This Morning After Four Days' Rigorous Drill.

Ithaca, N. Y., October 21.--The Cornell squad numbering 24 players left for Cambridge tonight at 6 o'clock. About 3,000 students with torches marched to the train to see the team off. The Cornell representation at the game will probably number 1,200 about 300 of them making the trip from Ithaca.

Comparison of Teams.

With the completion of the University's last thorough work-out yesterday afternoon and with the arrival of the opposing forces this morning at 7.05 o'clock, all is in readiness for the Stadium's first big game of the year, tomorrow's football contest between Harvard and Cornell.

The Ithacans come to Cambridge full of great confidence, and from all reports, their feeling is not without good foundation. Dr. A. H. Sharpe, Cornell's Yale coach, has built up an exceedingly powerful eleven, one whose record shows it to be as strong in defence as it is versatile in attack.

Figuring on probable line-ups, the two teams seem to be about equal in strength. Cool, the Cornell centre, who is, the lightest man in the visiting line, will have his greater experience to offset Taylor's weight; in Anderson and Miller, Dadmun and Cowen will meet two veteran guards who each tip the scales to over 200 pounds, while the new Ithacan tackles may be at a slight disadvantage in opposing veterans Gilman and Parson. Shelton, a skillful end of two years' standing, and Eckley, a former substitute, are the Cornell men who will probably play against Harte and Soucy, and in that department the battle should be about even.

In the backfield, the advantage undoubtedly rests with the visitors. Cap- tain Barrett is a vastly more experienced field general than any of Coach Haughton's quarterbacks, and in his punting, drop-kicking, and open-field running he has a reputation which puts him in a class with Mahan. Collins, Shiverick, and Mueller present a well-balanced trio of skillful runners and strong defence men, and even with Mahan in the line-up Harvard cannot hope with its crippled backfield to meet these men on even terms. The break of the game will very probably depend on how well the two elevens are coached.

A dispatch to the CRIMSON from the Cornell Sun states that the team has been put through an especially rigorous drill this week. Secret practices in the baseball cage have been accompanied by the fastest and fiercest scrimmages which the Red and White squad has seen this year. During the play, Captain Barrett has been averaging over 50 yards in his punting, and on one occasion got off a kick that travelled 77 yards. The team had one last hard scrimmage yesterday before leaving, but it is thought that the men will spend today resting at the Hotel Lenox.

Thorough Work-Out for Eleven.

In the last real practice before the Cornell game, the University football team was yesterday afternoon put through a thorough work-out.

After the usual warming-up preliminaries, the line coaches took their charges to a corner of the field and gave them a stiff drill against the seconds, while the backs and ends of Team A and B opposed each other in a light scrimmage. After a half-hour of this, the University lined up against the second team and went through 45 minutes of hard play which resulted in a 12 to 0 shut-out for the black eleven. Captain Mahan featured the scrimmage by lifting a perfect drop-kick from the 50-yard line, and on another occasion, when the seconds had lost the ball on the University's 8-yard line after a sensational march down the field, he put his team completely out of danger by booting a 60-yard punt. Robinson, who was given a try-out at quarter, added to the feature with a drop-kick from the 45-yard line. Immediately after this last score, the University was given the ball on the second's 30-yard line and rushed it over for a touchdown, Wiggin making the tally.

D. Campbell '02, captain of the championship team of 1901, was present and gave his time to the ends. McKinlock and Enwright were dressed for play, but neither participated in the scrimmage, the latter only taking part in the signal practice which closed the day's work.

The University's first line-up against the seconds was as follows: L. Curtis, l.e.; R. C. Curtis, l.t.; Snow, l.g.; Harris, c.; Duncan, r.g.; Gilman, r.t.; Weatherhead, r.e.; Willcox, q.; Wiggin, l.h.b.; Whitney, r.h.b.; Rollins, f.b.

Seconds vs. M. I. T. Today.

The second football team will line up this afternoon against the Freshman team of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock. The second squad has been practising hard for the last two weeks, and is rapidly rounding into form. Today's game will be the third on its schedule, it having won from Groton 7 to 0, and played Dean a scoreless tie.

The team will line up today as follows: l.e., Storer; l.t., Sayton; l.g., Townsend; c., Guimaraes, Day; r.g., Baker; r.t., Dewart; r.e., Farrington; q.b., Blair; l.h.b., Hollister; r.h.b., Jacobs; f.b., Appleton