WORKSHOP SELECTS TWO PLAYS

"THE REBOUND" AND "THE PURPLE DREAM" WILL INAUGURATE SEASON.

The 47 Workshop will inaugurate its fourth season with two performances, one on Saturday, November 13, and the other on Tuesday, November 13, and the other on Tuesday, November 16. The production includes a three-act comedy. "The Rebound," by T. P. Robinson, a former student of Professor Baker, and "The Purple Dream," a fantastic one-act comedy by D. L. Breed 2L., a graduate of English 47, who is now taking English 47a. Beginning with this production the Workshop is experimenting with a new plan for an amateur stock company. This company, includes a number of actors and actresses from Cambridge and Boston who will give their services for the year to the Workshop. With this company. Professor Baker hopes to carry out the plan which Miss Horniman has so successfully tried in connection with her famous Manchester Theatre which is one of the foremost experimental theatres in England. Practically all the actors in the stock company will take part in each of the four or five productions which the Workshop hopes to give during the current year. As far as possible each actor will be given every opportunity to demonstrate his or her range in large and small parts.

As in the three preceding seasons the Workshop will of course produce only original plays, the object being to discover the faults of these plays, promising as they are, by actual production before a critical audience.

The scenery department of the Workshop has been reorganized and is now in the hands of men, interested in stage experimentation, who can give as much of their time as is needed towards extending the scope of the department. The first problem of staging is now being worked out and in co-operation with Mr. T. P. Robinson, of Derby and Robinson, architects, the scenery department will devise the four sets of the first production from one large combination set. By lighting, different color schemes of hangings, portieres, etc., the difference between the sets will be emphasized. This is an elaboration of an experiment which was tried last year