UNIVERSITY VICTORIOUS OVER PENN. STATE

Made Final Score of Game After Impressive March of 82-Yards Down Field.

Presenting the same strong line-up which will probably face Princeton this week, the University eleven fought through a gruelling gridiron contest Saturday in such a commendable way as to bring subsequent victories this season within the realm of probability. In winning over Penn. State by the score of 13 to 0, the Crimson team not only took advantage of opportunities provided by chance, but it also showed a methodical power which has been wanting in the previous work of the eleven this fall.

At a critical time came the Penn. State team, with experience, strength and speed. Fighting for every inch of ground, the visitors opposed Harvard with a staunch line that often crumpled the Crimson defense and smeared the University plays. It may be with considerable satisfaction, therefore, that Harvard records the victory of last Saturday.

Lead by Captain Mahan, who played with a brilliant versatility, the Harvard offense succeeded in showing some real football, especially in the third quarter, when the Crimson took the ball from Harvard's 18-yard line and carried it straight down the field across the Penn. State goal line. It was an 82-yard march made by short but sure advances, a flash of that plow-like attack that has been used so gloriously by past Harvard teams.

University Interference Weak

A point of noticeable deficiency in the offense, however, was the deplorable lack of interference. Mahan was often impeded by the slowness of the shield of men in front of him, and at times he had to abandon his protection in order to elude tacklers from behind. Rollins, too, easily overtook his interference. The interference does not seem to rush with that ferocious charge, which marked the Harvard interference of last year, and often on Saturday a Crimson player instead of plunging into the opposing tackler, would merely try to ward him off from the play. A noticeable exception was Harte, who was responsible for many a gain.

One of the brightest developments of the day was the discovery of an able quarterback in the person of Robinson, who replaced Willcox after the latter had again displayed his awkwardness in receiving punts. This seems to be an insuperable fault with Willcox, but his falling made way for the debut of a candidate who promises well. The playing of Robinson was not a surprice to those who have watched his work throughout the last week, and many had expected him to drive the team with a firm grip, as he did. He chose his plays with a clever judgment, caught every punt that came to him, and successfully ran back the ball. The man who plays quarterback against Princeton and Yale may well be Robinson.

Visitors' Line Superior.

In the centre of the line Dadmun, Wallace and Taylor played a fairly good game. This trio, however, must be in the thick of the fight at every moment, and the three men do not yet work together with sufficient power. The Penn. State linemen, strong and aggressive, repulsed the Harvard line often, bursting great holes in the Crimson defense through which effective Penn. State bucks were hurled. The centre of the Harvard line neither held with the tenacity necessary to a firm defense, nor did it succeed in throwing back the opposing line with enough force to make way for Harvard gains. The Crimson team cannot hope for any great victories until that line, both on offense and defense can show continuously and repeatedly the same courageous and determined cohesion which was evident only occasionally Saturday.

Harte and Soucy have developed into two good ends, at last able to diagnose forward passes and to block them. Penn. State was proficient in the pass, but the Harvard ends usually broke up passes which threatened completion in dangerous territory.

Few Changes Expected In Line-up.

During Saturday's game the Crimson players were undergoing their final test for the selection of the first-string University line-up which will face Princeton and Yale. Few changes are likely here-after, judging by the policy the coaches have adopted in the past. With Wallace Dadmun, and Taylor practically certain to hold the middle of the line, Gilman and Parson will play the tackles. If Gilman is not able to play against Princeton, Bigelow will replace him Harte and Soucy are the ends, and Mahan and King are certain to be used in the backfield. Enwright possibly; probably McKinlock will act as Mahan's running mate at the other halfback position. The former's injury sustained Saturday will probably keep him out of the Princeton contest. He renewed his old injury, both his knee and ankle being slightly wrenched. There is a good chance, however, that he will be able to play in the Yale game. There is still some doubt as to the quarterback position, where Watson and Robinson seem to be the two most likely candidates. Even with his experience Watson will have difficulty in beating out Robinson, and Wilcox is altogether too erratic for use in either of the big games. Boles did some good work against Penn. State, handling punts unusually well, and he may have an opportunity to play.

With only three more days of hard practice before leaving for Princeton, the Harvard team is still in a somewhat crude stage of development. Many disappointments have been caused by what this year's eleven has failed to do, and a doubt, not ordinarily entertained so late in the season, remains in Harvard minds. Whether the obstacles still besetting the progress of the University eleven are insuperable will not be known until Saturday, when Harvard meets a worthy, perhaps a matchless foe in the team of the Nassau Tigers.

The line-up of Saturdays game was as follows:

HARVARD.  PENN. STATE.Soucy, Curtis, l.e.  r.e., Thomas, MorrisBigelow, Caner, l.t.  r.t., CzarneckiTaylor, Duncan, l.g.  r.g., MillerWallace, Harris, c.  c., PainterDadmun, Cowen, r.g.  l.g., McDowellParson, Curtis, r.t.  l.t., WoodHarte, Coolidge, r.e.  l.e., HigginsWillcox, Robinson, Boles, q.b.  q.b., Ewing, ManownEnwright, McKinlock, Whitney, Horween, l.h.b.  r.h.b., YeagerKing, McKinlock, Wiggin, r.h.b.  l.h.b., BerrymanMahan, Rollins, f.b.  f.b., Clar