YALE LAW SCHOOL WILL HAVE LEGAL AID BUREAU

Gratuitous Assistance for Needy New Haven Citizens to be Offered.

Following the example of the University Law School, the Yale Law School has recently organized a Legal Aid Bureau. Its object is to render legal aid gratuitously to those citizens of New Haven who would not otherwise be able to secure it. As stated in its constitution "The object and purpose of this Bureau shall be to render legal aid gratuitously, to all persons or associations who, by reason of financial embarrassment, or for any other reason may appear worthy thereof."

Officers of the Bureau have been elected, and an office established in Lowell House. Through this settlement house and its workers, it is expected to reach many who need legal advice.

This is but the first of many such free legal institutions being established in other colleges and universities of this country, of which the Bureau in the University Law School was the first. Their object is to perform a valuable social service by helping to alleviate the position of the poor who have been unlawfully deprived of their liberty or possessions, and to accomplish the best and highest aims of the profession.