DIPLOMATIC HISTORY AMONG RECENT FALL PUBLICATIONS

University Press Announcement Includes Italian Poetry Book and Prof. Frankfurter's Work.

The announcement of fall publications of the University Press contains, among other works, by men connected with the University, a diplomatic history of Poland, the second edition of the poems of an early Italian poet and a law book of unusual interest.

"The Second Partition of Poland; a Study in Diplomatic History," by Robert Howard Lord '06, Instructor in the Department of History, describes a period in the history of Poland that has never hitherto been written in detail. The book gives a comprehensive account of the series of events which began with the outbreak of the Russo-Turkish war in 1787 and ended in the new dismemberment of Poland six years later. It is based upon extensive researches in the archives of Petrograd, Moscow, Berlin, and Vienna, and upon the materials printed in Russian, Polish, and the western languages.

The first complete and critical edition of the poems of Giacomo Da Lentino, chief of the earliest Italian poets, is published by Ernest Felix Langley, Professor of French in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Giacomo was one of the school which centred about the court of Frederick II. His extant work, as well as all the poems connected with his name, whether authentic or merely traditional in anthologies, are here reprinted. The introduction furnishes a brief life of Giacomo, and discusses his poetry and its sources.

Professor Felix Frankfurter of the Law School has published some "Cases on Interstate Commerce" for the use of students.

The School of Tropical Medicine has issued a "Report of the First Expedition to South America" by a party of its members. It contains detailed records of an investigation of certain forms of tropical disease in South America. Among the members of this expedition was Dr. Richard P. Strong, Professor of Tropical Medicine, who afterwards made a brilliant fight against typhus fever in Serbia during the last winter.

Other works recently published or to be published in the near future are: "Some Problems in Market Distribution," by Arch Wilkinson Shaw, Lecturer in Business Policy and editor of "System"; "English Field Systems," by Howard Levi Gray '98, Assistant Professor of History; "The Supernatural in Tragedy," by Charles Edward Whitmore; Instructor in English, ready in December; and a translation of the "Vedanta System of Philosophy According to Shankara" of Paul Duessen, by James Haughton Woods '87, Professor of Philosophy.