PRESIDENT LOWELL ADDRESSED MEMBERS OF FRESHMAN CLASS

Spoke on Relation of Religion and Life at Special 1919 Service In Appleton.

President Lowell, in addressing 150 members of the Freshman class at the special service in Appleton Chapel last night discussed the problem of the relation of religion to the life that is worth while. The problems of life grow more serious as life goes on, and it is hard to tell what life is worth while nowadays. "Religion," President Lowell said, "means that which explains why life is worth living and what it is worth living for; and the man who has a philosophy which answers that question, whether his ideas agree with ours or not, has a true religion. We are Christians because Christianity is the religion which has given the most satisfaction to mankind. It is the man whose moral emotions move in the same way as his rational forces that lives the right kind of a life. We come to chapel as one way of expressing our religion, for experience teaches that worshipping together is best, just as when men get together and cheer, it increases their affection for the University.

The end we reach is the problem of how and why life is worth living, without regard to the pain or pleasure of it. No religion can exist unless it teaches that the men who do right are the ones who will have happiness; yet that happiness is what makes them do right."

The Reverend William Greenough Thayer headmaster of St. Mark's School spoke of the morning services at Appleton Chapel as one of the greatest opportunities which Harvard presents.