THE UNIVERSITY'S OPPORTUNITY.

"Above all nations is humanity." This is the inspiring motto of the Association of Cosmopolitan Clubs, which is to hold its ninth annual convention in the University on December 27-30 under the auspices of the Harvard Cosmopolitan Club. Delegates from all the important universities and colleges in the United States, representing practically every nation in the world, will assemble on those days to continue the successful work of past years.

But this time a difficult task must be undertaken; the wounds which cosmopolitanism has received from the world catastrophe must somehow be healed. Ever since the little meeting of Scandinavian students at Lund, Denmark, in 1842, farsighted university men have been dreaming of an international understanding. All through the second half of the nineteenth century and up to the fateful July of 1914 national and international conferences had been held all over the world to further a spirit which, if followed by governments as well as by individuals, might have saved much to the world. But then came the plunge--and it seemed as if the cosmopolitan spirit might perish from the earth.

Harvard has an opportunity to help in the reconstruction. This year the Cosmopolitan Student, the organ of the association, is to be published by students in the University. Every movement, such as this one, which helps to make Harvard the cosmopolitan institution of higher learning, deserves unqualified approval and support.