Football Rules to be Discussed

Peculiar plays which came under the observation of college football officials the past season will be cited at the annual meeting in New York of the rules committee of the central board of football officials, and more explicit instructions as to the interpretation of various sections of the rules will be asked for. Well known football officials and coaches who recently met in Philadelphia discussed their experiences of the past season. It was pointed out that the rule providing that the only player eligible to be within the one-yard zone behind the line of scrimmage is frequently violated in the running from kick formation. Among the plays on which a ruling will be asked is whether a safety or a touchback should be called when a player intercepts a forward pass behind his own goal-line and under the impression that he has made an error, throws the ball across the line back into play. A ruling will also be asked as to whether a fair catch is complete when the receiver falls after catching the ball, and if a punter becomes a would-be tackler after he has both feet on the ground or not until he has taken one or two steps.