EASY VICTORY FOR SEVEN

WILLIAMS EASILY DEFEATED BY UNIVERSITY TEAM IN 9 TO 1 CONTEST.

The University hockey team overwhelmingly defeated the Williams seven 9 to 1 in a slow, loosely-played contest at the Arena last evening. Williams showed little speed and almost no stick-work or team-play and at no stage of the game was really dangerous. On the other hand, the University did not show its usual form and there was practically no attempt at team-play. The entire squad with the exception of Clark, who is not yet in condition to play, took part in the contest.

At the opening of the game Phillips carried the puck to within striking distance of the goal and MacNamee, at point for Williams, caged it, scoring for the University after but 12 seconds of play. Shortly after, Doty, on a pass from Phillips, slid the puck along the ice and Cole misjudged it, allowing the second score for the University. After 6 minutes, 44 seconds, Doty again scored, this time on a pass from Townsend. The Williams players seemed somewhat demoralized and the University scored almost at will. Townsend played a strong game at wing and Phillips and Doty did effective work as centres. Phillips scored twice in this period and Baldwin also caged the puck on a pass from Phillips, the half ending with the score 6 to 0 in favor of the University.

Shortly after the opening of the second period the substitutes were sent in for all positions except Captain Claflin's, and they showed up very well, Baker, in particular, playing an unusually strong game. He scored on a pass from Phillips after 8 minutes, 41 seconds, followed later by a goal by Curtis from the wing. A minute later Rochester snapped the puck past Harte after a face-off near the goal for Williams's single score. Baker, after cleverly dodging the Williams defence, brought the last tally for the University.

The summary:

UNIVERSITY.  WILLIAMS.Townsend, l.w.  r.w., ConklinDoty, l.c.  r.c., CutlerPhillips, r.c.  l.c., D. ColemanBaldwin, r.w.  l.w., RochesterClaflin, c.p.  c.p., SwainMorgan, p.  p., MacNameeWylde, g.  g., Col