CRIMSON BUILDING UNDER WAY

NEW STRUCTURE WILL BE READY FOR OCCUPANCY IN COMING YEAR.

While some details remain to be settled, the general plans for the new CRIMSON building have been drawn up, and the structure will be ready for occupancy during the coming year. It will be erected on the east side of Plympton street a short distance from Massachusetts avenue occupying the ground now covered by Nos. 14 and 16. The lots owned by the CRIMSON have a frontage of 66 feet and a depth of 130 feet. The building will cover almost the entire space.

The exterior will be of Harvard brick and limestone, and Georgian in style. The building will be two stories in height. On the first floor will be quarters for the executive staff of the CRIMSON--president, business manager, managing editor, and editorial chairman. In addition there will be offices for the Alumni Bulletin, for the Boston newspaper scribes, and a large room for the general use of editors and candidates. The rear of the ground floor will be occupied by the composing room and offices of McCarter and Kneeland, printers.

The building is thus planned to give ample accommodations not only to the CRIMSON, but to the Alumni Bulletin, the correspondents of Boston newspapers, and to the Crimson Printing Company as well.

In the basement will be the boiler room, space for storage, and in the rear--directly under the composing room--the press room. The top floor will be taken up entirely by a sanctum for the editors.

The architects--Jardine, Hill, and Murdock of New York--have endeavored to make the building up-to-date and practical both as to construction and lighting. In its present quarters, the Printing Company is especially cramped for space, and prevented from installing the most modern equipment by lack of room. The new building not only makes more than ample allowance for present needs, but provides also for future expansion.

The project has been financed partly by subscriptions from graduates, and partly through the efforts of the undergraduate CRIMSON board. The building including the cost of the land, will represent an outlay of between $55,000 and $60,000. This fund has been steadily growing for the past four years, and is now complete. The erection of the building is in the hands of a graduate committee composed of the following: Karl S. Cate '09, of Boston; Payson Dana '04, of Boston; Thomas W. Lamont '92, of New Yark; Charles E. Morgan, 3d, '88, of Philadelphia; and Mr. Henry M. Williams '85, of Cambridge