EARLY INDOOR MEET PLANNED

Track Games to be Given Under I. C. A. A. A. A. in Madison Square Garden Early in March.

The first indoor intercollegiate track games will be held in Madison Square Garden March 6 under the auspices of the I. C. A. A. A. A. In the circular sent around by the association it was pointed out that keen competition in track games has been so developed in the last two or three years that a meet such as the one proposed will fill a want among track enthusiasts. In support of this it is pointed out that in the last two years it has been noticeable that champions have failed to repeat their title winning feats in succeeding annual meets. A few years ago it was not uncommon for an athlete to capture first place in some event in which he specialized for two or even three years in succession. In direct contrast to this is the fact that not a single intercollegiate champion of 1913 won an undisputed right to first place in 1914. J. B. Camp '15 was the nearest exception as he tied for first place in the high jump in 1913 and last year divided first place in the pole vault with two other men, one from Cornell and the other from Dartmouth. Many of the champions of 1913, expected to repeat their performances, failed to win first honors. Among these were: Brown of Yale, Fiske of Princeton, Whitney of Dartmouth, and Patterson and Lippincott of Pennsylvania. It is expected that this meet will give a line on the track stars still in college as many holders of intercollegiate, national and Olympic championships will compete for their respective colleges in the different track and field events. Conspicuous among these men are Richards of Cornell, a national and Olympic champion, Meredith of Pennsylvania who holds Olympic medals, Whitney of Dartmouth a national title holder, and J. O. Johnstone '16 also a national champion. College coaches and those who follow the track games closely will be able to tell in a general way what men and what teams will be expected to set the pace during the 1915 season as this will be the first opportunity they have had since last May to observe the men in competition.

The program, consisting of six track and three field events, will be open to team entries only and awards will be based on the collective scoring of the men representing each college and university. This method of awarding the championship on team merit rather than individual merit as is usually done in winter meets was approved by all the officers of the association as the best way to produce results at this time of the year. It is under such conditions that a team of average men in good condition will wrest a championship away from a team of one or two stars. It has been planned to charge no entry fee and to arrange the program in such a way that the contestants will be unable to compete in more than one or two events. There will be a dinner given to all the competitors and officials after the meet in the banquet hall. A unique seating arrangement has been planned in having all of the contestants classified according to their specialties and placed at separate tables so that all of the sprinters will sit together as will also the relay men, the distance runners and those entered in the field events. With each one of these groups will be placed men who made track and field history in their day. The association hopes through this to cement a friendship between the contestants from the different colleges in their respective events.