GRAY HERBARIUM FINISHED

This Building Started in 1910 and Aided Through Many Contributions is Best of its Kind.

The long process of rebuilding the Gray Herbarium has been finished by the completion of the central room within the last few days. The original frame structure, erected in 1864 to house Dr. Gray's collection, has been entirely rebuilt in steel and concrete, so that it is now the best equipped and best building adapted for its purpose in the world.

The first stage in reconstruction was the Kidder Wing, given in 1910 by Nathaniel T. Kidder '82, a member of the visiting committee. This is used to house the indexed specimens of flowering plants and ferns. In 1911 the old Asa Gray House, which adjoined the central building, was moved across Garden street to make room for a library wing given anonymously, but last year, upon the fiftieth anniversary of his graduation, Dr. George G. Kennedy '64 consented to the public announcement of the donor. About the same time that the library wing was begun, construction of the right wing, better known as the George Robert White Laboratories, was initiated. Besides the laboratories for studying systematic botany, this addition contains the office of Professor M. L. Fernald, several rooms for the collection of the New England Botanical Club, a bundle room, and an instrument room. In the spring of 1913 the front portion was rebuilt and raised a story, which now contains the offices of the librarian, Miss Mary A. Day, and rooms for maps and publications.

The central room as completed has been raised from two to three stories and has been equipped with steel cases for containing specimens and tables for observation. This addition was made possible by the gift of five members of the visiting committee.

The building is as nearly fire-proof as can be made, a precaution necessary to preserve the priceless collections of books and classified specimens. The only wooden furniture in the building is that once used by Dr. Gray, now preserved in the office of Professor Robinson. The equipment is well adapted for the most specialized use of the botanist. From the dark room for photography to the indexed cases for maps everything is fire-proof, specialized and modern.