DESCRIPTION OF RELIEF WORK

W. J. CROZIER 3G. TELLS OF WORK OF VARIOUS UNIVERSITY UNITS.

W. J. Crozier 3G., who has recently returned from the American Hospital at Paris, gives an interesting account of the work which is attracting so many Harvard men to volunteer in the relief work. While in Paris he came in contact with a number of Harvard men, both graduates and undergraduates, who are doing hospital and ambulance work.

Mr. Crozier was one of the division from the Western Reserve Medical School which sailed in December, the first American university unit. This division was under Dr. G. W. Crile, and included six surgeon, a neurologist, a medical officer, two trained anaesthesists, two operating-room nurses, and Mr. Crozier, who went in the interests of anaesthetic research.

The university unit at the American hospital has charge of one hundred and fifty beds. Western Reserve will continue to supervise it until April 1, when the Harvard division, under Dr. H. N. Cushion, of the Medical School, will take charge of it. On July 1, Johns Hopkins will probably succeed Harvard.

The American Hospital at Paris is supported entirely by private contribution. It occupies the Lycee Pasteur, recently completed as a school for boys. The American Ambulance is a permanent institution of Paris for the care of sick American travellers. It is now composed of two divisions--the ambulance division, which has its stations along the battle-lines, and the hospital division, which is now located in the Lycee Pasteur. It is in the former division that the ambulances recently contributed by the University to the Red Cross fund will be used.