FIGHT FOR CRIMSON BANNER

Favorable Report by Committee in Charge.--Suggested Legislation.

Proceedings in the fight for the right to carry the banner of the University in parades are beginning to take a favorable turn. The committee on Legal Affairs, which has had the matter under its consideration, reported upon it last week. The report was favorable, in that it suggests legislation which would have the effect of permitting the flag to be carried. The report advocates that Section 2 of the Act of 1913 relative to this matter be stricken out, and the following paragraph substituted for it:

"No flag, banner, ensign, or sign, in opposition to organized government, and no flag ,banner, or sign having upon it any inscription which is opposed to organized government, or which is sacreligious, or which may be derogatory to public morals, shall be carried in parade within this Commonwealth."

The report, with its suggested change must now be acted upon by the House and Senate, and if passed will allow the carrying of the flag.

The fight was started last fall, when a bill was proposed by Senator Bean, of Cambridge, to modify the law prohibiting the carrying of any red flag. At about the same time two other bills were introduced, with the purpose of repealing the act completely. The committee is composed of 15 men of whom there were four dissenters who favored Senator Bean's bill, which is a little more liberal than that advocated by the committee's report. When the matter comes to a vote strong opposition is expected from the Socialist party.